Insulin resistance is a metabolic condition that affects millions of people worldwide. It occurs when the cells in your body become resistant to the hormone insulin, which is responsible for regulating your blood sugar levels. As a result, your body has to produce more and more insulin to keep your blood sugar levels stable, which can lead to a range of health problems, including cardiovascular disease, stroke, and type 2 diabetes. At Forum Health Modesto, we take a personalized approach to insulin resistance treatment, focusing on identifying and addressing the underlying causes of this condition to improve your overall health and wellbeing.
What is Insulin Resistance?
Insulin Resistance The term Insulin Resistance (IR) refers to a reduced sensitivity of cells to the action of Insulin. IR results when a normal insulin action is impaired and the cell does not “hear the message of the insulin. To overcome this impairment, and to maintain good glucose balance, the pancreas will attempt to secrete larger and larger amounts of insulin. Those who are have IR develop glucose intolerance and eventually Diabetes.
Studies suggests that insulin sensitivity problems are an underlying causes in:
- Cardiovascular Disease
- Diabetes type 2
- Polycystic Ovary Disease
- Certain Cancers
IR refers to a cluster of symptoms:
- Abdominal Obesity (Men – waist circumference over40 inches, Women – over 34.5 inches)
- Triglyceride level over 150mg/dl
- HDL cholesterol less than 40 in Men and less than 50 in Women
- Blood Pressure over 135/85 mmHg
- Fasting glucose over 110mg/dl
Other useful marker to suggest Insulin sensitivity issues are elevated fasting insulin levels, elevated uric acid and elevated Crp-hs .
Not all who have IR develop Diabetes there is much you can do to turn this situation around. All hope is not lost – the cellular sensitivity to insulin can be improved and reversed with these measures.
- Exercise – regular exercise reduces insulin levels
- Smoking – exacerbates insulin resistance. Stop smoking now
- Obesity – increase fatty tissue around the abdomen induces insulin resistance, reduce body fat now
- Nutritional Modulation – a customized dietary program and lifestyle changes will improve IR.
- Selected Nutrients such as Magnesium, Chromium, Vanadium, Biotin, Conjugated Linoleic Acid, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Green Tea, Cinnamon – customize the nutrients your body needs to stabilize your blood sugar and turn around IR
Don’t let insulin resistance take control of your health. At Forum Health Modesto, we offer personalized treatment plans to improve your insulin sensitivity and reverse its symptoms. Take action now to improve your quality of life and reduce your risk of developing serious health conditions like diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and certain cancers.